On Friday we made it back to Melbourne safely after our amazing holiday in the US and we were welcomed with some seriously hot weather! After experiencing an American Football game in -4 C weather Melbourne is feeling rather warm. Warm weather means BBQ’s for us so that’s exactly what we have been doing since we got home. BBQ’s are great for making simple and healthy meals, and also great for making really unhealthy meals if you feel so inclined. Beef burgers with balsamic bacon and red onion jam was our BBQ meal of choice yesterday.
This recipe is adapted from Ourlifeinfood.com
- 4 rashers bacon, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup water
- Salt and pepper
(the original recipe had 2 rashers of bacon mixed into the burgers but we skipped this bit)
- 500g Lean beef mince (preferably grass fed)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tps Dijon mustard
- Plenty of pepper and salt
- Mix the mince with the remaining ingredients and mash it all together with your hands. Form the burger mix into desired number of patties and set aside. If you’re using a BBQ get it started so its hot when your want to start cooking
- Heat a large fry pan and add the chopped bacon. Cook until browned and crispy. Set aside bacon but keep the bacon fat in the fry pan
- Add the sliced onion to pan with the bacon fat, and continue to stir the onion so it doesn’t burn. Once the onion has softened place a lid on the fry pan and leave the onion for approx 10 mins to get really soft
- At this point you can start cooking your burgers on the BBQ. Place the burger patties on the hot plate and flatten with a spatula. Cook on each side for approx 5 mins or until browned half way through
- Add the balsamic vinegar, mustard, water and salt and pepper in with the onions. Give it a good stir and then add the cooked bacon. Place the cover on the pan again and let it simmer until it thickens
- Just before serving remove the cover from the frying pan and let the jam simmer down a little
- Serve the burgers with a big salad or in a bun if you prefer it that way. Top the burgers with your cheese of choice and then add the bacon jam on top
Get the BBQ nice and hot and make sure you have some healthy oil to cook them with
Cook that bacon!
Remove the bacon and cook the onion
Place the patties on the hot plate and flatten them out
Be sure to get your cat to help out in the kitchen..
Add the remaining ingredients and bacon to the onion jam
Remove the cooked burgers from the hot plate
Serve and enjoy!
Got any questions about these delicious burgers? Ask me in the comments below.
Kyle and I have a huge line up for you this summer, including tips on how to keep fit and healthy over the holidays so make sure you sign up to our email updates so you don’t miss out!
Questions? Do you like that?
Powered by Facebook Comments